Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dijon Chicken Salad

Monday marked the first official day of my week of magickal focus. I had a busy weekend though and I was left with ground beef in the fridge that was in a do or die phase. So I decided to make tacos and work in the magickal ingredients that I could. I chose Onions and fresh from the garden chives (Thanks Mom!) as the weight loss ingredients that I would add into my tacos. According to Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Kitchen Wicca they are perfect for the job. The tacos were delish even if the mix did come out of a box. The fresh additions made the meal.
Tuesday came and went in a flash between soccer camp and an evening practice. We didn't even have dinner at home. Next time I will have to prepare for that better.
Tonight however was a triumph. And that brings us to the Dijon Chicken Salad. First let me say that I didn't come up with this recipe and I firmly believe in giving credit where credit is due. This was submitted by Susan C. to allrecipes.com. Thank you Susan! This was just what I needed tonight. I chose this recipe because it includes so many of the weight loss ingredients that are on my list including celery, honey, and chives.


Dijon Chicken Salad
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
Susan C

* 2 (10 ounce) cans chunk chicken
* 1 cup sliced celery
* 1 cup halved seedless green grapes
* 1 cup halved seedless red grapes
* 1/4 cup dried cranberries
* 2 teaspoons dried chives
* 2 tablespoons honey
* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* 3/4 cup mayonnaise
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper


DIRECTIONS

1. Mix together the chicken, celery, green grapes, red grapes,
cranberries, and chives in a bowl. Whisk together the honey,
mustard, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl.
Add the mustard mixture to the chicken mixture, stir to coat.

Serve on Pita Bread


The first obvious point here is that not everything in the chicken salad is healthy. 3/4 of a cup of mayo......yeah I know what you're thinking. I felt bad about it too but luckily I have reduced calorie mayo in the fridge. Reduced enough that I didn't feel guilty about it anymore. Also I chose pita bread that is whole grain and stone ground. That I felt really good about. As I did the chopping, and those grapes give you plenty of time, I did my visualizing. Visualizing is the key to magick. It's the catalyst that makes it work. The chicken salad is delish! And with very little cooking involved.....well none really, it was a quick and easy mid week feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment